Friday, February 11, 2011

Big Ben, Michael Vick, and The Prodigal Son

 
Growing up, just like any other normal Ukrainian Orthodox kid sitting in religion class at a Catholic all-boys high school, I was taught the parable of The Prodigal Son.  I was never a big fan of this story.  You've probably heard it before.  The younger of two sons asks his father for an early advance on his inheritance (the 2,000 year-old equivalent of asking your roommate for his stereo before he tries that ski jump).  After ditching town and blowing all his money on booze and hookers, the Prodigal Son comes back to his family out of desperation.  Rather than punish him, his father rewards him with a feast where he slaughters the fattened calf (the 20 A.D. version of a 1983 Chateau Margaux).  This leaves the older, more loyal, brother to wonder why he stayed home and worked on the farm for his whole life.

After seeing the kind of treatment that Ben Roethlisberger and Michael Vick have been getting recently, I'm feeling a lot more sympathy for that older brother.  The main storyline leading up to the Super Bowl was Big Ben's apparent chance for redemption.  The media announced that a Super Bowl win would somehow erase the crimes he had allegedly committed, while Roethlisberger did his part to play the victim.  He proudly stated that "When you're faced with challenges, you find ways to overcome them."  It's truly a shame when people judge you for your past actions.

Roethlisberger received this year's Good Guy award from the Pittsburgh beat writers for being the most media-friendly Steeler this year.  He admits that he "wasn't always the nicest guy to them" but now he is "easier to work with."  Does Big Ben deserve that award, or does he just seem to deserve it because his new personality is such a drastic change from his old one?  Coincidentally, last week Michael Vick was awarded a key to the city of Dallas, a week after he was given the presidential suite in Hawaii for the Pro Bowl.  Mayor Pro Tem Dwaine Caraway presented Vick with the key, saying that "the wayward children that were there needed to have hope."  Is Vick a better role model for children than other football stars because he used to kill dogs and now doesn't?

For the record, I do believe in second chances and people's ability to change.  I didn't agree with those asking for Vick to be banned from football after he served his prison term.  But I do believe that there's a difference between forgiving someone's past transgressions and placing them above others for finally becoming a decent human being.  If Roethlisberger and Vick have changed, I'm happy for them and I hope that others follow their example.  But I don't think they should be praised for finally reaching the point of decency that the rest of us have been at for years.  To put it another way, I'll welcome them back with open arms.  Just don't expect me to slaughter the fattened calf.

15 comments:

  1. Being an Eagles fan, I need to comment on the above post:

    When Vick's dog-fighting fiasco hit and everyone called for his head I was one of the people who pointed thought the reaction was harsh in comparison with what other athletes get away with.

    When the Eagles signed Vick, I was flabergasted. My best guess (at the time) was that they'd flip Vick for a decent draft pick. Was Andy Reid trying to make right what he messed up with his kids? Was this just a value proposition? Regardless I didn't take Vick seriously until early this year during the birthday incident.

    The birday incident (where a guy was shot) pissed me off more than dogfighting. Dude - you just speant years in prison. You got a second chance people only dream of. What the hell?

    With all of the above said, I have to say that Vick is an extremely compelling case. Much like the aforementioned and much debated parable of the Prodigal Son, the reason for celebration is simple: it provides hope and an example to those in need.

    I really think it's that simple. The NFL, and frankly humanity, loves the ideal of redemption. It's a something ingrained in us.

    I think those higher-ups that are supporting Vick are trying to send a message of what is possible when you've hit rock bottom. It's what the prodigal son's father (and Jesus in telling the story) was trying to do. Since signing with the Eagle Vick has toured Philadlephia on his days off lecturing at local schools, functions etc. about the evils of dogfighting, bettering oneself etc. I honestly believe he is and will have a profound effect on kids in Philadelphia. He can actually be a true role model.

    Philadelphia likes the guy because he's competitive, fearless, confident, and not a politician. He puts his heart and body on the line when he plays. And doesn't smile when he throws an incomplete pass. He's a philly-type.

    The jury's still out and there will be the everpresent "hangers-on" who want to bestow praise on him to share the limelight. But it coule be a true American redemption story. People want it. They want it bad. Almost as bad as Roethlisburger wants to pull his penis out in a bar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The difference between Vick and Roethlisberger is that Vick has not only said he is sorry he is showing he is sorry through the way he is leading his life. Ben just says he is sorry, but obviously doesn't mean it or think that he did anything wrong as evidenced by the last line of the Michael's comment above.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike,

    Nice comment and very good point. The background of the Prodigal Son parable (and something I didn't mention in my article) was that it was one of the stories Jesus cited when the Pharisees criticized him for hanging out with prostitutes and the other "sinners" of society. So it could be that those who are praising these athletes for supposedly redeeming themselves are merely following the lofty precedent that the prodigal son's father set. As they say, to err is human, to forgive divine.

    I bring up Vick and Big Ben because they challenge the extent and limits of our forgiveness. One has repaid his debt to society, and the other was never actually charged or convicted of a crime in the first place. So is it right for us to still view them as criminals? Have they even redeemed themselves? And if so, should we praise them for it? I think these are questions we all need to ask ourselves.

    And Mary, I agree that Vick has done a much better job of atonement (in the public eye) than Big Ben has. Let's just hope that they've both changed as much as they'd like us to think they have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post! This is a very nice blog that I will definitively come back to more times this year! Thanks for informative post. สล็อตpg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to become visiting your weblog again, it has been months for me. Nicely this article that i've been waited for so long. I will need this post to total my assignment in the college, and it has exact same topic together with your write-up. Thanks, good share. เว็บแทงบอล ที่ดีที่สุด

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. ทีเด็ดบอลเต็ง

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it could be more general if you get a football sports activity เว็บแทงบอล

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to search sites with relevant information on given topic and provide them to teacher our opinion and the article. เว็บแทงบอล ที่ดีที่สุด

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for ding the impressive job here, everyone will surely like your post. เว็บแทงบอล

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will really appreciate the writer's choice for choosing this excellent article appropriate to my matter.Here is deep description about the article matter which helped me more. เว็บแทงบอล

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information... เว็บแทงบอล

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. เว็บแทงบอล แนะนํา

    ReplyDelete
  13. Truly, this article is really one of the very best in the history of articles. I am a antique ’Article’ collector and I sometimes read some new articles if I find them interesting. And I found this one pretty fascinating and it should go into my collection. Very good work! เว็บแทงบอล ที่ดีที่สุด

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am jovial you take pride in what you write. It makes you stand way out from many other writers that can not push high-quality content like you. สมัครUFABET

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice to read your article! I am looking forward to sharing your adventures and experiences. แทงบอล

    ReplyDelete