Friday, August 12, 2011

Say It Ain't So, Steve


As a die-hard Giants fan, I would be remiss if I didn’t mention anything about Steve Smith’s departure to the Eagles last night.  Like most of Giant-land, I assumed Smith’s return to Big Blue was a mere formality.  In fact, when my friend Cheryl visited Giants training camp with me this past Sunday, she asked where Smith was, under the assumption that he’d be practicing with the team.  In an already tumultuous offseason, it was a relief to hear that the former Pro Bowler was checking-in with the team on Tuesday.

So you can imagine my shock and horror when I checked my Twitter account last night, hopeful to see news of a Smith resigning, and saw instead that he had bolted for the hated Eagles.  It was as if someone just reached through my phone and punched me in the stomach.

I won’t sugarcoat it: this is a significant blow to the Giants’ roster.  I am confident that General Manager Jerry Reese has a plan, but I don’t think losing Steve Smith was part of it.  Despite the concern from outside fans and reporters, Giants brass showed no signs of panic when Shaun O’Hara, Rich Seubert, Barry Cofield, Plaxico Burress, and Kevin Boss left the team for various reasons. So it unsettles me when I read that Tom Coughlin is mad about Smith’s abrupt departure. 

I don’t know what to make of Coughlin’s claims that Smith left under cover of darkness.  On one hand, I can’t imagine Smith not giving the Giants the opportunity to match the Eagles' offer.  On the other hand, I can’t imagine New York not shelling out the extra cash to keep a player who was such an integral part of the team before his injury.

And I think that’s the thing that hurts the most.  I don’t blame Smith for leaving, and I definitely don’t condone the Giant fans who are peppering his wall with hateful comments (the vocal minority, as I like to call them).  But I can’t kick the feeling that he was destined to spend his career in blue.  He was an unsung hero of the Super Bowl XLII team (I will never forget 3rd and 11).  He regularly interacted with fans on Twitter and sent barbs like this to irk, ironically, the Eagles.  Players like Cofield and Boss were also loved, but they didn't have the rapport with the fans that Smith did.  He was a Giant, through and through.

Last night, I couldn’t help but think of Johnny Damon, another popular player who endeared himself to the hometown fans by embracing the team they rooted for.  I see a lot of similarities between New York’s reaction today and Boston’s backlash when Damon left for the Yankees.  I’m just waiting to hear the first Giants fan say “I think Jerrel Jernigan might be better than Smith,” much the same way Sox nation talked itself into the Coco Crisp era.

The Giants wanted Smith back, and he wanted to come back, and yet now he’s playing for the Eagles.  Fans have a right to be pissed, even if they’re not sure who they should be pissed at.  As for me, I’m just disappointed.  I know Smith did what he thought was right, and I’m grateful for the memories he gave us.  I just thought there’d be more of them.

Image found here.

3 comments:

  1. Great post here... I wonder how much you think the many free agents this year went to teams simply because they wanted to play for the guy in charge (think Jets, Eagles, Ryan, Reid, respectively). It's not like Coughlin has EVER been regarded as a "players' coach." Are we seeing the continual shift away from the Lombardi types and toward the "this guy gets me" coach?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading, Will.

    On one hand, it seems like guys gravitate to Ryan because of his player-friendly mentality. But people quickly forget that 7 of the 11 Super Bowls since 2000 were won by coaches who are known as disciplinarians (Coughlin, Bill Belichick, Mike Tomlin and Bill Cowher).

    Frankly, the personality doesn't get you anywhere unless it's backed up by winning. Ryan is in vogue now, but if coaches like Tomlin or Coughlin win another Super Bowl this year, free agents will flock to them just like they have to Belichick since 2003. Everyone loves a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think money is the major reason here guys. In Steve Smith's case I just don't think the Giants offered what the Eagles did. I think it's that simple.

    ReplyDelete