Sunday, September 11, 2011

2011 NFL Preview: Super Bowl Pick

On February 5th, Michael Vick will complete the most unbelievable of sports comebacks.
Update: In my initial post, I had the Chargers winning the AFC Championship game, and then mistakenly put the Eagles beating the Patriots in the Super Bowl.  Apologies for the brain fart. 

You can see what I think of each team's prospects in my divisional previews.  Without further ado, here are my picks for the playoffs, Super Bowl, and individual player awards. 

INDIVIDUAL AWARDS 

MVP: Aaron Rodgers  Runners-Up: Michael Vick, Tom Brady
Defensive Player of The Year: DeMarcus Ware Runners-Up: Ndamukong Suh, Terrell Suggs
Offensive Rookie of the Year: Julio Jones
Defensive Rookie of the Year: Von Miller
Comeback Player of the Year: Tony Romo 

PLAYOFF PICKS 

AFC
Division Winners: Patriots, Ravens, Texans, Chargers
Wild Cards: Jets, Broncos 

NFC
Division Winners: Eagles, Packers, Falcons, Rams
Wild Cards: Lions, Giants 

AFC Championship: Chargers over Patriots
NFC Championship: Eagles over Packers

SUPER BOWL XLVI PICK

EAGLES over Chargers

As a Giant fan, am I just picking the Eagles as some sort of twisted way to jinx them and/or keep myself from throwing up when Michael Vick hoists the Lombardi trophy?  Maybe. But honestly, I think this is Philadelphia's year.  Years of shrewd talent-management culminated with the best offseason and one of the best signings in NFL history.  

For those likening them to the Miami Heat, the comparison does not apply.  Chemistry and team roles matter more in basketball because you have five guys trying to accomplish the same goal (get the ball in the hoop).  In the case of the Eagles, Nnamdi Asomugha can blanket a receiver while Cullen Jenkins and Jason Babin rush the passer.  Each player has his role.

I don't see any red flags on Green Bay, while an in-flux offensive line and Vick's injury history are concerns for Philadelphia.  But I trust Andy Reid will solve both of those issues by the time the season ends, and he showed in 2002 that he can keep the team afloat if his starting quarterback goes down for a few games.  As much as it pains me to say it, I think Reid finally has the talent on his roster to break through this season and bring Philadelphia its first Super Bowl title.

Image found here.

2 comments:

  1. Ha, you would be a poor Green Bay fan if you didn't think that, Evan. I'm curious to hear your reasoning behind it. I believe that most of Philly's signings this offseason were geared to stop the passing game, specifically that of the Packers. With Nnamdi, DRC and Asante Samuel, they may have the only secondary that can match up with Jennings, Driver, James Jones and Jordy Nelson.

    ReplyDelete