Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Brett Favre Retired; Ego Still Active

"Aaron, it's been two years.  How have you not won a championship yet?"
I had nothing but respect for Brett Favre until he held Green Bay hostage in the summer of 2008.  I realized then that he had arguably the biggest ego in sports, and I'm glad that he's proven it with every action he has taken in the three years since.  That's why I was not surprised to see him tank his reputation even further in an interview with an Atlanta radio station yesterday.

Some enlightening nuggets from Favre:

On Aaron Rodgers' championship: "I'm really kind of surprised it took him so long."  (Rodgers won a Super Bowl in his third year as a starter.  Only 5 men, Roger Staubach, Joe Montana, Kurt Warner, Tom Brady, and Ben Roethlisberger, have done it quicker.  Favre didn't win one until his fifth season under center.) 

"He's very bright and he got a chance to watch and see successful teams do it right." (In Rodgers' first two years watching Favre, the "successful" Packer teams went 4-12 and 8-8.) 

On Rodgers' succession of him: "...he just kind of fell into a good situation."  (Yes, trying to replace a legend who is waging a PR war to steal your job away is the ideal situation for any young quarterback.) 

On the expectations and advantages Rodgers has, compared to when Favre was in Green Bay: "I don't think there's any pressure on him now, the talent around him is even better than when I was there."  (I think Ahman Green, Antonio Freeman, Sterling Sharpe, and the late Reggie White would all have something to say about this.) 

Favre concluded the interview with “by the way, my d*ck is bigger than his.”

Ok, I made that last one up.  But the bottom line is, Favre could not come across as more of a bitter old man, jealous that the fame he once relished now belongs to someone else.  The downward spiral continues.

Image found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment